Monday, April 12, 2010

touching moments...

Hello all~

I was home this weekend and was watching UP with the sibs (illegaly :] hehe~) I left and went while they were amused by the entire film. There was a part that made me soo sad - I remember crying in theaters. I almost cried again!! So anyway, I thought I would compile a list of movie scenes that have brought me to the verge of tears (or actual crying!!).

I am a movie fanatic - I love love love love love movies! I think I might actually love movies more than makeup! Oh gosh!!!!! I love them. I don't think I can get that point across. haha.

SPOILERS BEWARE FOR UP AND MARY&MAX!!!!!!**********

These are in no particular order - just whatever I think up as I type.


1. UP (2009)
I think you'd have to have lived under a rock to not hear about one of the most talked-about films last year. This was a Pixar baby - quite akin to Finding Nemo. A basic summary of the film is an old man and a little boy go on an adventure together. That's the most bare basic plot summation I can give you haha. When I was trying to tell friends about it - they thought I was on drugs or something! It's such a random sounding film, but quite cute and endearing.

Anyway - the first five minutes had me holding back tears (and failing miserably). In the first five minutes of the movie, Pixar crammed in the life story of Carl Fredricksen... it was a short, adorable love story between his wife Ellie and him. Of course, they manage to grow old together, through the good and the bad - but as we start the adventure into the movie, Carl is alone since Ellie passed away... :(

I swear, those five minutes bought me! I was so captivated by the movie... I feel like the music played a huge huge role in it. Life is more emotional with background music.

2. UP (2009)
Ok - so this is the scene I was talking about at the beginning of this post. After Carl Fredricksen has made his adventure to Paradise Falls, and after going through a lot of trouble with Russell, Dug, and Kevin - he finally relaxes in his chair for some peace and quiet. He flips through a scrapbook his wife had made, and you can just see it in his face that he's disappointed that he never got to Paradise Falls with his wife. As he is about to close the book, something catches his eyes. He notices that his wife Ellie had added pictures of them, happily married. This is the part where my vision gets blurry from the fat tears!!!! He flips through more pages, and each page shows pictures of them, happily together - and on the last page... oh my gosh this broke me and I just bawled!!! Underneath the last picture, which is of Ellie staring off peacefully in her chair, she writes to her hubby "Thanks for the adventure! Now go have a new one!" Or something really similar to that... and Carl realizes he has to move on with his life. It really touched me - so much love in so few words. Aww, I'm about to cry now. HAHA!

I can't believe a kid movie could take me on such an emotional roller coaster.


3. Mary & Max (2009)
This is another animated film that came out last year - it wasn't as famous as UP but I think it was a really good clay animation film. Long story short, the story is about a little Australian girl named Mary and a socially-awkward man named Max from New York who become pen pals and each other's closest friend.

This movie has a lot of themes not really suited for children (e.g.: suicide), but I really loved it! There is a point in Mary's life (in the movie she starts out around 8 years old and she grows up during the movie) where she is depressed, her husband has left her, Max was angry with her and refused to talk to her, and she had no one. She tried overdosing on drugs - and there is just this scene where Que Sera Sera is playing, and she is dancing on the table. It just about killed me!! I literally could not stop crying.

Then, as she danced on the table, the movie made it so you could clearly see that Mary was pregnant... oh gosh. :[ I cried sooo hard.

4. Mary & Max (2009)
At the end of Mary and Max, Mary FINALLY goes to visit Max in New York. As she enters the apartment, you can't even imagine how I felt. I was so excited! They were going to meet! After all the hardships in their lives, these two lonely, sad people could finally meet each other FACE TO FACE and... I was pumped.

As Mary approached Max on the couch, she realizes he's dead. And the narrator then tells you that Max died that very morning, on his couch staring at his ceiling. I almost missed the next part of the movie because I was so devastated!!!!! Mary sits next to Max on the couch (she has her baby with her!), and looks around. As she takes in the environment, she sees all the trinkets that she had sent Max over the years. This was so touching. She looks up to the ceiling, in the same position as Max, and - this part was amazing. She saw all the letters she had written to him, from all those years, all stuck on the ceiling of his apartment. I lost it at the end of this movie. I LOVE this movie. So depressing but so so touching and moving.

SPOILERS END!!!!!!!!!*************

Okay, there's more but it's pretty late so I'm going to be a good student (haha yeah right) and go to sleep soon so I will end the list there.

If you have not seen Mary and Max, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. Everyone I have talked to has never heard of this movie, but I just adore it so much. It's very dark at times, but funny at others. It made me laugh and it made me cry - it made me so lonely but so warm and happy. Ahhh!!

Also, Up is definitely recommended if you're not into darker movies. Up is woooooooo all the way around! There are some sad points where you just want to hug some of the characters, but - come on... it's Pixar! Seriously. A mini SPOILER! There's this part where they show a LITTLE BIT OF BLOOD and my sister was like 0_0!!!!!! ISN'T THIS PG??? hahaha.

Ugh... I brought my hamster to my apartment and it's already stinking up my room... crap! :[ What do I do?? WHAT DO I DO???? Haha, jk. Hope you had fun reading this. Tell me what your most touching movie scene was!

xoxo,
clover

No comments:

Post a Comment